One of the routes that are no longer in existence is the line that led to Withernsea and on 14th February 1927 it was a 9-carriage train from here that was heading inbound towards Hull driven by a Mr Robert Dixon. In the opposite direction was the 0905 service leaving
The train crashed into the other head on, the two engines ripping into each other and telescoping into the carriages. Wooden structure and metal frame work split and flew in every direction as passengers were jolted forward and thrown to the front of their seating. As the wreckage settled and the dazed and injured passengers realised what had just happened, the state of the railway line was in a shocking state.
The tender of the outbound
Today a memorial plaque is at the site where the hole in the fence allowed so many people to be rescued at the back of what is today Hull Royal Infirmary. Looking out onto the railway lines it is hard to imagine the carnage that once was and how many lives were affected by