Monday, October 26, 2020

An Interview with a Shipwreck Hunter (Part 2) - Neil Cunningham Dobson

The second interview I have conducted is with Neil Cunningham Dobson, deep water marine archaeologist and salvor. He became famous during the many shipwreck hunts that Odyssey Marine Exploration conducted where he was the expert that they turned to in order to identify and give a deep insight into the wrecks that the team had found. The searches made headline news and were a popular TV series Treasure Quest which astounded the viewer with the incredible finds and fantastic images of some of the more famous wrecks by the use of the ROV Zeus and the research vessel Odyssey Explorer.

Neil agreed to answer some questions about the world of shipwrecks from his personal perspective.  

Could you explain what drove you to pursue a career that involved shipwrecks?

Gosh, a long story as I am old and have 47 years working at sea.  I wanted to be a history teacher, but I also wanted to see the world. I have always been interested in ships and the sea.  My career route is not a normal one. It certainly helped that I had a career at sea, I understand the sea and ships and combined with my passion for shipwrecks, I have the best of both worlds.  I love to see how present offshore technology can be used and developed to find and investigate shipwrecks. Every shipwreck is different. Shipwrecks are events that are not supposed to happen. Shipwrecks are in some ways like crime scenes. You need to look at the clues and what you find on the seabed to try and piece together what happened to the ship and the people onboard. I am really an underwater detective.

As I live by the sea and I learned to sail I decided at 17 to join the merchant navy and I got a cadetship with Ben Line Steamers Ltd, affectionally known as the Scottish navy. I completed my cadetship but there was a decline in the UK merchant navy, so I ended up in 1979 going out to the North Sea on oil rigs as a stability officer. During my time offshore I learned to sport dive with the Sub Aqua Association (became DO of a local club I started) and was interested in shipwrecks and their history. I then started a successful a career as an offshore survival instructor/examiner for RGIT Ltd at their survival school base at Dundee docks. During my time ashore I did more diving and gained my HSE part III Commercial Diving qualification. I was approached by the Scottish Institute of Maritime Studies where I got involved with marine archaeology. After joining the Nautical Archaeology Society, I became a tutor with them. I then made the decision to become a marine archaeologist and did a Masters course at St Andrews University. Working with St Andrews university on various maritime projects included a Cromwellian wreck off Duart Castle, Isle of Mull. My contract with the university ended and they closed the Scottish Institute of Maritime Studies and I found myself out of work and very few marine archaeology jobs about. I decided to combine my 16 years in the offshore industry with my marine archaeology and I completed a one-month ROV (Remotely Operated Vehicle) course at the Underwater Centre in Fort William. In 2001 I became self-employed and started my own archaeology and exploration company Rovarch. I was approached by Odyssey Marine Exploration, Tampa, Florida where for 19 years I researched, looked for, discovered and excavated many interesting and high-profile shipwrecks. For the last three years I have been involved with more ship salvage work than marine archaeology. The recovery of valuable cargoes using ROV and a suite of salvage tools for various clients.

What has been your most “wow moment” in your career?

This is a hard question. So many “wow moments”. For me being the first to see the shipwreck since it sunk is great. Visually, many wrecks are amazing. Some that stick out for me are the discovery of the American sidewheel steamer SS Republic off the coast of Georgia, USA. The sight of a sandy mound where there were broken kegs of gold and silver coins was amazing. Finding the final resting place of the WWII British cargo ship SS Gairsoppa at almost 5,000m deep, sitting intact and upright on the seabed was wonderful. My late father served on similar ships as a radio officer during WWII. Being one of the first few people to see many large bronze cannon lying in clusters on the seabed from the wreck of HMS Victory (1744) and finding undiscovered German WWII U-boats are all a “wow moments”.


How many shipwrecks have you investigated and/or dealt with?

I have never counted them but its in the hundreds. Everything from 1st century Roman amphora wrecks, 17th century pirate ships, 19th century sidewheel paddle steamers, 1744 HMS Victory, German U-boats, a few aircraft, and many WWI and WWII merchant ships and passenger liners.


What, in your opinion, would you say was your most important discovery either at sea or in the archives and why?

Finding HMS Victory (1744, the one before Nelson’s) was the most important discovery for me. It was found almost 100 miles west from where it was believed to be. This ship was the “death star” of its day.  The bronze cannon spread on the seabed is amazing. It is a highly significant shipwreck that should be investigated and excavated. Sadly, the wreck lies unprotected in international waters and under threat.  There are for sure amazing and wonderful discoveries to be found just under the seabed on this site.  The archives always turn up important and significant discoveries. Good research is key in finding a shipwreck. (The image above shows Neil documenting one of Victory's recovered cannon)

Do you still get speechless when making new discoveries today?

Shipwrecks never fail to amaze me and there are always new discoveries to be found. Yes, I get speechless quite often. I have seen some weird and amazing things on shipwrecks and ocean floors.

What was your last project and what did you achieve?

My last project was a WWII cargo passenger ship in the North Atlantic. I cannot divulge details of this most recent project as it is ongoing.

What are your hopes for your future discoveries?

My hopes are that through good research I will find more targets and be successful in making more exciting discoveries and recoveries. I enjoy being able to share these through publications and TV shows.

Is there anything else you would like to share that would interest the reader?

The world of marine archaeology is a colourful one and full of many characters.

Working in commercial archaeology is difficult.  Personally, I conduct archaeology to a high standard and within the guidelines of my profession. Sadly, there are many who do not value my work or fully understand the use of ROV systems. Marine archaeology is rife with differing opinions and egos, sometimes obstructing facts and accuracy. However, I will never give up as I follow my dreams and continue being a pioneering deep -water marine archaeologist working with ROVs, deep water survey/salvage and seabed intervention systems making new and exciting discoveries and sharing those with the public.

No comments:

Post a Comment